STATEMENT OF FAITH
WE BELIEVE that the Bible, composing the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments, is the complete and inspired Word of God. As such, the Bible as originally written is entirely free from error, it is the final revelation and authority in all matters of faith, conduct and belief. 2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21, Romans 15:4.
WE BELIEVE that there is one and only one eternal, living and true God, and infinite, intelligent Spirit, the Maker and Supreme Ruler of heaven and earth; inexpressibly glorious in holiness and worthy of all possible honor, confidence and love; that in the unity of the Godhead there are three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in every divine perfection, and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption. 1 Timothy 2:5, Galatians 3:20, Genesis 1:26.
God the Father: We believe that God the Father with providential care over His universe, His creatures, and over human history according to the purpose of His will as the all-powerful loving, and wise God. He is holy and sovereign. God is Father in truth to those who become His children through faith in Jesus Christ, relating Himself to His own as their Father. Job 42:2, Romans 8:15-16, Psalm 37:2.
God the Son: We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, possessing absolute and essential deity. We believe in His eternal existence. His pre-incarnate glory with the Father, His virgin birth, His sinless life, His substitutionary death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension into heaven, His present mediatorial ministry, and His future personal return. 1 Timothy 2:5-6, Colossians 1:16, Matthew 1:20-23, Acts 1:9-11, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-17, Hebrews 7:25.
The Holy Spirit: We believe in the absolute and essential deity and personality of the Holy Spirit, who convinces us of the reality of our sin, our need for righteousness,and the coming judgement of our actions; who indwells us, gives us new life, makes us holy, gives us spiritual understanding, and brings comfort to those who follow Jesus Christ; and who gives us spiritual gifts and empowers us for works of service in the ministry of our Lord.Acts 5:3ff, 1 Corinthians 12:6-7, Matthews 28:19, Romans 8:27-28.
WE BELIEVE in the Genesis account of creation, and that it is to be accepted literally, not allegorically or figuratively; that man was created directly in God's own image; that man's creation was not a matter of evolution or evolutionary change of species, or developments through interminable periods of time from lower to higher forms; that all animals and vegetative life were made directly, and God's established law was that they should bring forth only "after their own kind." We believe that Genesis 1 is the record of the universe being brought into existence. Genesis 1:1ff.
THE FALL OF MAN
We believe that the first man was created sinless, but that Adam later sinned, causing the corruption of the human intellect, will, and emotions, and resulting in our complete inability to please God. Apart from the grace of God, all of humanity is condemned to spiritual and physical death. Genesis 3:6-7, Romans 5:12 also affirm that we are justified by faith alone, resulting in our being born again whereby we receive the imputed righteousness of Christ; we believe in our preservation and growth in holiness by the power of God, and in our ultimate conformity to the image of God when we meet Him face to face. God saves us and keeps us secure for heaven. Each person will be held individually responsible for their acceptance or rejection of Jesus Christ. John 3:16-17, Romans 8:29-30, Mark 16:16.
WE BELIEVE that the local Church is a company of immersed believers, called out from the world to serve the Lord Jesus who is the Head of the church, voluntarily associating together to observe its ordinances, to study and apply the word of God, to mutually strengthen and encourage its membership, and to share the good news of Jesus Christ with the rest of the world. We believe that the local church has the right to self-government, free from the dictates of any external hierarchy. The church's officers are elders and deacons, whose requirements and duties are clearly outlined in Scriptures. We believe in the entire separation of the church and state. Acts 6:2-7, Acts 14:23, 1 Timothy 3:1-7, 2 Timothy 2:24-26, Colossians 1:18, Ephesians 1:22.
WE BELIEVE that there are only two ordinances for the church.
Baptism is the immersion of the believer in water as an act of obedience to the command of Christ, and as an outward identification with Christ in His death, burial and Resurrection.
The Lord's Supper was instituted by Christ as a memorial in which believers remember and proclaim the reality and significance of His death through the partaking of bread and wine. Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-16, 1 Corinthians 11:23-30, Luke 22:17-20.
THE RETURN OF CHRIST
WE BELIEVE in the personal, bodily and glorious return of Christ; in the bodily resurrection of the godly and the ungodly; in the eternal blessedness of those who follow Christ, and in the judgment and the conscious eternal punishment of those who reject Christ. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, Romans 6:23, Revelations 20:11-15
Our purpose is to glorify God by:
Witnessing for Christ in word and deed
Serving One Another in Love
Learning to Obey All God's Truth
Our History (2017-Present)
February 1, 2017, is a pivotal date in the history of the Trenton Baptist Church. This date began a new and exciting era for Trenton Baptist Church having gone through three years of prayer, planning and watching God's plan for a new location unfold. This fellowship of believers stepped out in faith to purchase the Wesleyan Methodist Church at 125 Dixon Drive and took ownership of their new location pictured above on that date. The first worship service was held February 5, 2017.
To provide a little history on 125 Dixon Drive property, it was originally purchased in 1953 by the Four Square Gospel Church and in 1954 construction began on the church. From 1954 to 1961 Reverend J.J. Styles undertook single-handedly the construction of the building which was halted when Reverend J. J. Styles and his family were relocated to Durham in 1961. At that time the Wesleyan Methodist Church purchased this property from the Four Square Gospel Church. They hired Watson and Weigand Architects of Belleville, ON to develop a plan to remodel and accommodate their needs. A parsonage was built and the church was dedicated in April 1965.
Over the years, the Wesleyan Methodist Church experienced substantial growth and added a second morning worship service. This led to the WMC purchase of approximately nine acres of land on 2nd Dug Hill Road on the west side of Trenton. The property was purchased for the purpose of relocation a of the Trenton congregations to build and worship in their beautiful new church.
Our History (1926-2017)
Trenton Baptist Church began in May 1926 with men and women of Baptist conviction determined that Trenton should have a New Testament ministry. Determined to get established, it proved difficult and progress was slow and limited.
It wasn't until November 13, 1927 that the church was officially organized with just 16 members. A formal recognition service was held on July 6, 1928. Initially, the congregation joined the Union of Regular Baptist Churches however, an amalgamation of the Union of Regular Baptist Churches with another group took place forming the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches in Canada. TBC became a member of a larger body and was eventually under FEB Central.
Pastor Carl Boyter began the Baptist ministry in Trenton. Services were held in a hall over what was then the Trent Theatre. This was a home mission cause assisted by the Convention of Baptist Churches of Ontario and Quebec. For many years the believers had no building of its own. The church spent the first 25 years of its existence renting several halls. Initially, two pieces of property were purchased as a possible site for a new church home. The first piece of property was purchased in 1926 and the second 20 years later. Each attempt at building ended in failure.
On June 21, 1950, Mrs. May White purchased 15 South Street and construction began in July. Because of limited funds and the fashion of the day, a basement building was erected. The size of the basement was doubled in 1956. It wasn't until April 1959 that construction on the upper portion of the building began and was subsequently completed in early 1960. Dedication services were held on Sunday, March 6, 1960.
Over the years, the congregation remained faithful; and when an opportunity for a larger building was presented by the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the believers looked for God's direction and decided to move forward with the purchase of 125 Dixon Drive in Trenton.
Here is a list of the Pastors who have faithfully led the congregation at 15 South Street.
1926 - J. K. Holland (Student Pastor)
1927 - H. E. Buchner
1939 - E. Hall
1938 - Wm. Hall
1945 - H. Carlton
1947 - T. Delaney
1965 - H. Butler
1965 - J. Fullard
1970 - E. Winter
1998 - D. Struve
2008 - T. Gerow
2019 - J. Herrington